Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A new way to find new bands - Pandora

Click on the image for a larger view - I like the way it says that the Dirty Three use "extensive vamping".

Discover Music - Pandora - http://www.pandora.com

In my morning web meander, I came across this website - I'm not entirely sure who's behind it but it is rather interesting. It allows you to type in the name of a song or band/artist that you like and identifies their particular traits. From this, it suggests other songs/artists in a similar vein that you may or may not have heard of.

For example, typing in Nick Cave brought up the song Avalanche (all these songs play in full, by the way) and then went on to Aged Dolls by ...And you will know us by the trail of dead and from there to In Trance by Scorpions. From there to Secret Knowledge of Backroads by Pavement (interestingly one of the bands I kinda missed during the 90's - always had friends into them). What jail is like after that by Afghan Whigs.

Think I'm rather liking this.


By the way, according to the FAQ on the site, there are licensing issues for users outside the USA, so they have a field where people have to enter a zipcode - eg 90210 - my personal favourite.

No comments: