Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Looking backwards

After doing the retrospective thing on Monday Sunset yesterday, I thought I was pretty well going to get into looking forward and enjoying the best new music that people are making but my trip to the cd shop at lunchtime would say otherwise.


I had intended to look for some James Brown - I was in Melbourne when he died and 3RRR (one of the best radio stations around) played huge slabs of him (well - his music, you know what I mean) - anyway, I realised that there is a big Brown hole in the collection.


As it turns out, I found a best-of double cd in the collection of best-of double cds in the 3 for $20 pile so also scored some Curtis Mayfield (arguably cooler than JB) and some Cuban tunes.


Then I saw the Breakfast club soundtrack and before I knew it, I was in retro city.


I'd say that the Flaming Lips - Late Night Tales cd is more contemporary, but there's also a lot of their old retro faves on there, so what do you do?)


Now granted, there hasn't been a whole lot of 07 music released yet (or is that 007?) but I wonder what it all means.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: